Auction sites on the web will not work for some of your items as you would like to sell larger things that are not easily shipped. They can also be expensive if the items do not sell.
The ideal solution for you could be holding a cyber yard sale. This can be done on a free website that has enough traffic to make it worth your while. The best place for holding a cyber yard sale is Craigslist.org. Chances are you are close to one of the 450 areas that this website covers.
Here are some ideas for making money with a cyber yard sale on craiglsist.org.
Step 1 – Take great photographs of all of your items. A digital camera is the best way, but if you only have a 35mm or APS camera that is ok too. Just have the place where you get the film developed put the images on to a CD for you.
Step 2 Write your ads.
- Use a good title with a keyword that will get it noticed. If you are selling vintage dining room chairs, then in your title say “Vintage Dining Room Chairs”. This way, your ad will attract only the buyers that are looking for vintage chairs; not someone who is looking for a rocking chair.
- Next, write a really good descriptive ad for your item. Be sure to include any flaws your items may have and if they are new state that. If they are used also state that. The price of the item should be clearly noted.
- Craigslist.org will protect your privacy. You can have all emails forwarded to you through their system. Your email address is not posted for all to see. Now that you have your ad written, do the same for every item you wish to sell.
Step 3 – Get your ads posted. All it takes is a valid email address to register. It is always free on craigslist.org. Once your ads are posted, you will have to manage them. Every ad you post is valid for 45 days.
Keep in mind that as your ad gets older, it drops to the bottom of the listings. In order to keep your ad toward the top of the first page, you must delete and repost every 2-3 days. By doing this your ad will be visible to all. A lot of people searching for items do not search past the first page.
If you have many items for sale and do not think you will be able to keep up with deleting and reposting in this time frame, then think about posting fewer items at a time, if you can. This way there is less to manage.
Here are some advantages of selling your items on Craigslist:
- You do not have to depend on the weather. Traditional yard sales, no matter how well planned are at the mercy of the weather, unless you wish to bring it indoors.
- You post and manage the ads, and then wait for responses. You do not lose an entire day or two.
- Finally, there is a greater level of security for you when using craigslist.org. Instead of advertising a yard sale with your address, everything is kept private and only interested individuals are given your contact information. You decide who you are going to sell to. This eliminates those who “browse” yard sales. Some of these browsing individuals may have ulterior motives.
Hopefully these ideas for making money with a cyber yard sale on craigslist.org have helped you. The internet has opened up a whole new way of turning our unwanted items into cash.
Craigslist.org is a free way to get your unwanted items for sale in front of millions of visitors from your area. Many people are realizing how valuable an asset like this can be. With time becoming a rare commodity, why not use craigslist.org for your next yard sale. This way you can get to your kids baseball game without a conflict.
If you have computer equipment you would like to list on Craigslist, bring it into PCRx and we will make sure it is good working order. Also, you will want to make sure that any presonal information has been removed from the hard drive.